I watched Hillary Clinton’s much-anticipated floor speech tonight at The Big Tent. (Not the metaphorical one—though you could argue that that version got just a bit of play tonight, too—but Google’s literal incarnation.)
In short—among The Big Tent’s bloggers, anyway—Clinton killed. The tent’s darkened interior, lit only by the red-and-blue of the various TV screens on its periphery—and, of course, by the hazy glow of the small army of laptops within that—erupted several times during the speech in rancorous cheers. The biggest applause lines?
- Anything that mentioned Barack Obama being presidentMegan Garber is an assistant editor at the Nieman Journalism Lab at Harvard University. She was formerly a CJR staff writer.
- Anything that mentioned Michelle Obama being First Lady
- Anything that mentioned Unity
- “It’s fitting that George Bush and John McCain will be appearing together in the Twin Cities…because it’s awfully hard to tell them apart.”
- “sisterhood of the traveling pantsuits”
-“No way. No how. No McCain.”