This month, CJR presents “Required Skimming,” a daily miniguide to our staffers’ beats and obsessions, ranging from finance to food. If we overlooked any of your must-read destinations, please tell us in the comments.
• Deadline.com: Founder and editor in chief Nikki Finke may use the non-word “toldja!” too often (once is too often), and the site’s 2008 Writers Guild strike news heyday is long past, but there’s no denying that Deadline is still one of the best sites for industry news and casting scoops.
• The Wrap: Similar to Deadline, but with a larger staff that allows it to go beyond intra-industry coverage to more mainstream fare: reviews, analysis, and the like.
• Media Decoder: This New York Times blog may soon surpass Deadline in its industry coverage, due to its superior (and tireless—does Brian Stelter ever sleep? I’m getting worried about him) reporting and better use of social media.
• AV Club: This offshoot of The Onion is no joke, providing plenty of news, recaps, and reviews, usually written with snarky and entertaining edge.
• Vulture: New York magazine has done a great job creating this online pop culture hub, which has a nice mix of entertainment news, analysis, and humor.