This month, CJR presents “Required Skimming,” a daily miniguide to our staffers’ beats and obsessions, ranging from finance to food. If we overlooked any of your must-read destinations, please tell us in the comments.
• Kaiser Health News is the most comprehensive source on health policy and politics, with deep reporting on everything from hospital consolidation and patient safety to the latest declarations from House Speaker John Boehner.
• Helen Haskell lost a son to a medical mistake and ever since has devoted her life—and now her tweets—to making the public and the press aware of how unsafe the medical system is.
• Wendell Potter is an ex-insurance PR guy who left the dark side to blog insightfully (at this Center For Public Integrity project) about his former colleagues and the behemoths who rule the heathcare system.
• Reporting on Health, a project of the California Endowment, has great stuff on health issues that affect the poor.
• Jessie Gruman offers leads on medical studies and tips on how patients can navigate the health system and come out alive and well.
• Dean Baker is must follow for his clear analysis of attacks on Medicare and other entitlement programs.