This month, CJR presents “Required Skimming,” a daily miniguide to our staffers’ beats and obsessions, ranging from finance to food. If we overlooked any of your must-read destinations, please tell us in the comments.
• Alexis Madrigal: A senior editor at The Atlantic who writes with playful enthusiasm about innovation, entrepreneurship, and creative uses of technology.
• Atlas Obscura: Brainchild of one of the obnoxiously fabulous Foer Brothers, this site lives up to its billing as a “catalogue of the singular, eccentric, bizarre, fantastical, and strange out-of-the-way places.”
• @brainpicker: A bit thick on inspirational quotes, but Maria Popova also delivers the steadiest stream of “interestingness” anywhere on Twitter.
• Ideas Market: Chris Shea’s excellent handbook of research being done will refashion your head into the shape of a satisfied egg.
• @kottke: One of the longest and best continuously running blogs on the Internet; a source for uplift and delight that rarely disappoints.
• Marginal Revolution: A showcase of the wide-ranging, urbane tastes of economists Tyler Cowen and Alex Tabarrok, it’s the go-to blog for polymaths and aspiring James Bond villains.
• @wired: Still the hitchhikers’ guide to the future.Sang Ngo Tags: required skimming