On July 30, as the debate over the Bush administration’s “surge” in Iraq was heating up, The New York Times ran an op-ed article that enthusiastically endorsed it. Titled A WAR WE MIGHT JUST WIN, it was written by Michael O’Hanlon and Kenneth Pollack, both of the Brookings Institution, and, reading through it, I grew increasingly irritated. Part of the problem was the piece’s gushing tone. “After the furnace-like heat,” they wrote, “the first thing you notice when you land in Baghdad is the morale of our troops.” Soldiers and marines “told us they feel that they now have a superb commander in Gen. David Petraeus; they are confident in his strategy, they see real results, and they feel now they have the numbers needed to make a real difference.”
From Ramadi, where they talked with a Marine captain whose company “was living in harmony” with Iraqi security forces; to Baghdad’s Ghazaliya neighborhood, which was “slowly coming back to life with stores and shoppers”; to the northern cities of Tal Afar and Mosul, where Iraqi security forces had “stepped up to the plate,” the surge was helping produce a “new Iraq,” O’Hanlon and Pollack argued, and as a result, “Congress should plan on sustaining the effort at least into 2008.”
From reading their report, it was impossible to tell that U.S. soldiers were still being blown up by IEDs and that mangled corpses continued to appear on Baghdad’s streets. O’Hanlon and Pollack noted that they had spent eight days in Iraq, and I wondered how freely they had been able to move about. An answer was provided two weeks later by Salon’s Glenn Greenwald, who wrote that O’Hanlon told him in an interview that the two had largely followed an itinerary developed by the Defense Department. No mention...
Complete access to this article will soon be available for purchase. Subscribers will be able to access this article, and the rest of CJR’s magazine archive, for free. Select articles from the last 6 months will remain free for all visitors to CJR.org.
What a Crack!
You let the AP report a fairy tale about "burned alive" Sunnis in Baghdad...
And CJR has not a word to say about the impact of such fiction upon journalistic integretity...
However, let some journailist post the TRUTH (GASP!) about the success in the Iraq war, and the CJR "watchdogs" are beside themselves in collective disgust...
Go figure...
What a joke!...
Posted by padikiller
on Tue 20 Nov 2007 at 09:46 PM
How many times do we need to go over this?
The story about the Burned Alive Sunnis was verified through multiple independent sources. Jamil Hussein (you know, that guy both you and Malkin insisted didn't exist) not only exists but his track record of reliable information is still better than you or Malkin. Plus one needs to take into account that the burned alive story was only one in multiples of dozens of similarly violent stories to come from Iraq that have all been solidly verified. One would wonder why you stick to this story as being false when there are many others as bad or worse. Even if you could prove the burned alive story definitively false, without that one story the picture from Iraq is really no different.
Massing has shown that the authors of the article are questionable critics of the war at best lead on a merry ride laid out by the DoD. I can't imagine that the DoD, who censored pictures of the flag draped coffins coming home from Afghanistand and Iraq, would try to keep these two reporters from seeing the dirt in Iraq so they could write an article that's all rainbows and sunshine due to the surge.
Our government doesn't try to mislead us ... what sillyness. That would be unethical and we all know that for this administration ... ethics are priority one.
I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. :(
Posted by AhmNee
on Wed 21 Nov 2007 at 01:39 PM
AhmNee Expresses The Ethical Standard of Moonbat "Professional Journalism
Even if you could prove the burned alive story definitively false...
padikiller scoffs
This is indeed the pathetic new Orwellian standard of "journalism"...
Whether from Jamil Hussein... OR "Scott Thomas" or Dan Rather...
If you can't prove it's false.... Then you must presume that it's true... (As long as it furthers the moonbat agenda)
Pure idiocy like this has become the norm.
Posted by padikiller
on Wed 21 Nov 2007 at 05:52 PM
I wonder, which part of verified through multiple independent sources did you not understand?
Michelle Malkin's own pictures of the "destroyed" Mosque showed significant damage to the structure but claimed that it being destroyed was a lie. More Iraqis have been murdered in a month than the annual murder rate of New York, San Fransisco, Miami, Atlanta, Boston and Seattle combined. How odd that in a country that they find the bodies of the murdered in the streets daily, they couldn't find these specific murdered Sunnis.
It's not that you can't prove that it didn't happen. It's that you can't actually make much of a case to call the credibility of the story into question. And your ilk were REALLY looking.
So again. Even if this story was a complete fabrication, what about the dozens of other stories from Baghdad that are just as violent and horrific? We should discount them because you found one story that may or may not be rock solid?
Your math needs rechecking.
Posted by AhmNee
on Mon 26 Nov 2007 at 05:41 PM
Word Fun With AhmNee
It's not that you can't prove that it didn't happen. It's that you can't actually make much of a case to call the credibility of the story into question.
padikiller gives it shot, nonetheless
Well, let's see...
The "crediblitlity" of the AP's "burned-alive Sunnis" story just might be affeceted by....
1. The fact that there is NOT A SINGLE SHRED OF EVIDENCE TO INDICATE THAT IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED ... Now I know that in McLearyland it is not actually necessary to prove that something actually "happened" in order to publish it as news... But here in Realityville, we are sticklers about demanding that "professional journalism" has some of those "fact-thingies" to go with it...
Call us nuts...
2. Some honest-to-goodness "professional journalists" on the ground in Baghdad investigated the matter and came up empty.... Al-Jazeera for one... And Ed Wong of the New York Times for another....
Now I hate to rain on the Moonbat Parade... But when the NY Times can't corroborate a claim of Muslims being burned alive... I just have to say that there's a credibility problem there... Call me nuts...
Posted by padikiller
on Tue 27 Nov 2007 at 11:14 PM
"I just have to say that there's a credibility problem there... Call me nuts..."
padkiller: You are nuts. You can start with the WMD story and the mushroom cloud and so on and so on.
You're a tough guy. Go to Iraq yourself and then write the truth. I'd love to read the truth, from you or any of the other wise pundits who have gotten us into this trillion dollar boondoggle you call victory.
As far as the statement: "If the Gallipoli standard were applied to Iraq, much of our foreign-policy commentariat would be out on the street. Christopher Hitchens would have to give up his column at Vanity Fair and Thomas Friedman would lose his perch at the Times. Half the columnists at The Washington Post would have to find a new line of work, and The New Republic would probably have to shut down. In the simple interest of journalistic employment, some slack must be allowed." I strongly disagree. Fire the lot of them. No better yet, do what I do, ignore them, don't read the self-serving crap they generate.
Posted by Dr..J
on Tue 4 Dec 2007 at 05:06 PM
The fact that there is NOT A SINGLE SHRED OF EVIDENCE TO INDICATE THAT IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED
You mean other than the eyewitnesses or the picture evidence of the destroyed mosque from Michelle Malkin herself that showed significant damage to the structure.
Posted by AhmNee
on Tue 4 Dec 2007 at 05:20 PM
AhmNee,
Is there any value in continuing to argue with padikiller? That writer seems unconcerned about the facts of the circumstances in Iraq, and may be one of those, who are often referred to as trolls, who argues for the sake of an opportunity to repeat their discredited point of view. Let go of it. Mr. Massing's article has nothing to do with the event that padikiller is arguing about. The argument is only to divert attention away from the actual content of Massing's commentary.
Posted by Jack
on Wed 5 Dec 2007 at 08:08 PM
It wouldn't be another day in McLearyland if some liberal didn't slap the "troll" label on me..
However, my point is indeed well taken, whether the moonbat crowd likes it or not.. Namely that CJR has a HIGHLY selective tolerance for criticim of war related coverage...
Any journalist anywhere who pens any piece that can possibly be construed to show any sort of progess in Iraq gets butchered by one of the "watchdogs" here immediately....
While pure, ridiculous antiwar nonsense (like TNR's "Shock Troops" fairy tale, or the AP's "burned Sunnis" garbage) gets defended here to the hilt- to the point of childish name-calling against critics who have the nerve to be skeptical (GASP) of these fictitious stories..
Posted by padikiller
on Thu 6 Dec 2007 at 02:15 PM