On The Kicker this week, I’m joined by CJR’s Dave Uberti and Nausicaa Renner to discuss the role of platforms like Facebook and Google in the journalism landscape. Nausicaa guides us through a new Tow Center report, “The Platform Press: How Silicon Valley reengineered journalism.” What responsibility do platforms have to promote and provide for good journalism? How can publishers find viable business models in a platform-dominated reality?
Then, Dave talks with Tanzina Vega, CNN’s national reporter for race and inequality. Vega speaks about increased national attention on the topics she covers, the state of diversity in newsrooms, and what the media gets wrong when it reports on race and class.
- “The Platform Press: How Silicon Valley reengineered journalism” by Emily Bell and Taylor Owen, CJR
- “Facebook is eating the world” by Emily Bell, CJR
- “How newsrooms can stop being so white” by Tanzina Vega, CNN
- Tanzina Vega’s latest stories for CNN
- “One question that turns courageous journalists into cowards” by Farai Chideya, CJR