On the latest episode of The Kicker, Pete and Nausicaa talk about coverage of the border crisis that has been dominating national news for the past week. The public outrage that forced President Trump to sign an executive order attempting to end the crisis that he created wouldn’t have happened without sustained media coverage. What caused that reporting to break through? And what do journalists need to do as the story continues? Pete and Nausicaa talk about those questions and more on the podcast.
- Trump caves to sustained border coverage by Pete Vernon, CJR
- Listen to Children Who’ve Just Been Separated From Their Parents at the Border by Ginger Thompson, ProPublica
- Trump’s media allies struggle to defend his immigration policy by Oliver Darcy, CNN
- Anyone Who Says The Media Ignored Obama’s Border Crisis Is Wrong by John Stanton, BuzzFeed News
- Propaganda or news: Should media publish government’s child-detention photos? by Paul Farhi, The Washington Post