On the latest episode of The Kicker, Meg has an interview with The New York Times’s Caitlin Dickerson. They discuss the real effects of fake news in Twin Falls, Idaho. Then, we run through the week’s biggest stories, including criticisms of media coverage in Puerto Rico, the president’s battle with the NFL, Hugh Hefner’s journalistic legacy, and Twitter’s terrible, no good, very bad decision to expand tweet lengths.
- How Fake News Turned a Small Town Upside Down by Caitlin Dickerson, The New York Times
- As crisis unfolds in Puerto Rico, journalists help connect families by Karen K. Ho, CJR
- The Media Really Has Neglected Puerto Rico by Dhrumil Mehta, FiveThirtyEight
- With NFL controversy, did media play into Trump’s ‘distraction tactics’? By Harry Bruinius, The Christian Science Monitor
- Hugh Hefner’s Playboy did a lot of great journalism. Here are a few highlights. by Meg Dalton, CJR
- Twitter users can’t stop tweeting about how much they don’t want tweets to get longer by Aja Romano, Vox