This week on The Kicker, we return to a theme that dominated journalists’ reflections following the 2016 election: Covering areas of the country beyond major media centers. CJR’s United States Project Editor Brendan Fitzgerald joins Senior Staff Writer Alex Neason and Pete to talk about national coverage of the West Virginia teachers’ strike, and what it says about adjustments the industry has made. Then, we dive into a debate about the role of journalism in a time of protest and politicization: Is journalism a form of activism?
- Is the West Virginia teachers’ strike the future of American labor? by Gregory Krieg, CNN
- Fighting Poverty, Drugs and Even Violence, All on a Teacher’s Salary by Dana Goldstein, The New York Times
- What just happened in West Virginia? by Elizabeth Catte, Literary Hub
- Heroin(e), directed by Elaine McMillion Sheldon
- Journalism and activism: This ‘Reliable Sources’ segment sparked a debate by Brian Stelter, CNN