I wrote this last week about the South Louisiana newspaper war: “It will also not have a hard time poaching talent from the Picayune and its layoff pool.”
“It,” being The Advocate, the Baton Rouge-based daily that is walking through the door opened by the Times-Picayune’s retreat in its own hometown.
The exodus has already begun—in a big way.
The Advocate announced today that it has picked up highly regarded Times-Picayune news editor Martha Carr and investigation editor Gordon Russell, who will become New Orleans managing editor and investigations managing editor, respectively. The Advocate also picked up two Picayune reporters.
And Dan Shea, the former Picayune co-managing editor, and the newly hired general manager of The Advocate, tells me more is coming. “If you ask me are we getting an outpouring from the Picayune, I feel like I’m in a lifeboat (pulling up to) the Titanic,” he says. “Our problem now is we have more people trying to climb into the lifeboat than we possibly can accommodate. The calls and the résumés are just unbelievable.”
I don’t doubt it. That matches what I heard about reference requests and résumés when I reported my Battle of New Orleans piece from the March/April issue of CJR.
I talked briefly with Russell via phone as he headed up to Baton Rouge this afternoon. He will oversee investigations for the entire paper but will be based in New Orleans. “I don’t agree with the direction that the Picayune’s going in,” he says. “There’s an increasing emphasis on quantity over quality and speed and breaking news—but small news. I love breaking news as much as the next guy but it feels a little like being on a hamster wheel.”
“I love the Picayune. I’ve worked there almost 15 years. I feel like it’s in my blood and my DNA. There are a lot of terrific people who work there—terrific people and terrific journalists. That makes this a little bittersweet.”
The defections are another major blow to a Times-Picayune already reeling from a series of self-inflicted wounds over the past year.
Last May, Shea and co-managing editor Peter Kovacs were for weeks—very visibly—excluded from a series of top-secret meetings on Advance’s plan for the future of the paper. They were summarily let go in June, along with nearly half the Picayune’s journalists, some of whom were asked to reapply for new digitally-focused jobs at the new NOLA Media Group (the paper eventually ended up with a newsroom about 25 percent smaller after rehires and hires from outside the paper).
Advance and new publisher Ricky Mathews killed daily publication of the Picayune, an excellent paper with the highest penetration in the country in a tradition-loving city, and decided to stuff seven days of news into Wednesday, Friday, and Sunday editions (plus a Monday sports tabloid after Saints games launched after fans revolted). The company focused its “digital-first” newsroom on a clicks strategy for the paper’s website Nola.com, widely regarded as substandard, and shifted diminished newsroom resources away from hard news and toward sports and entertainment. The paper’s longtime absentee owners, the Newhouse family, turned a deaf ear to demands from New Orleanians to at least consider local offers to buy the paper, telling The New York Times that “”We have no intention of selling no matter how much noise there is out there.”
I’ve argued that the Advance plan was effectively a liquidation of the paper that could make more money riding down declining revenues than through a sale.
The plan had a serious flaw, though. It didn’t take into account the possibility that someone else would come into New Orleans and compete—in print. But that’s exactly what happened. Baton Rouge’s David Manship, publisher of the state capital’s Advocate, sensed opportunity and launched a skeleton-staffed edition of the paper in New Orleans in September, days before the Picayune went to three days a week. The Advocate became the city’s only daily newspaper and picked up nearly 24,000 sales a day in three months despite the paper’s scrappy but barebones New Orleans coverage.

We are in the middle of a revolution that is going to continue to have a dramatic effect both on the way we edit, and on the skills we need to bring to the table. And the one thing I know for sure in this changing environment is that more change is coming, and it's coming faster than any of us think.
#1 Posted by MadameBegue, CJR on Wed 8 May 2013 at 06:54 PM
Gordon Russell was in on the the secret meetings in spring 2012. He played a bigger role than 99 percent of the news staff in shaping "the direction the Picayune' s going in." One wonders whether he didn't understand the mission, or just failed when he tried to execute it.
#2 Posted by cjbe, CJR on Wed 8 May 2013 at 10:30 PM
Sorry, cjbe, but your read of the situation is just wrong. The plan was handed down from New Jersey via Mathews.
#3 Posted by Ryan Chittum, CJR on Thu 9 May 2013 at 01:32 AM
Chittum, Agree with you on that, but N.J. and Mathews are not news staff, are they? Do you think Russell didn't understand, in the secret meetings just before Carr broke the story,, what he was about to implement? Or did he just fail at executing what he really did understand?
#4 Posted by cjbe, CJR on Thu 9 May 2013 at 10:26 PM
cjbe, quit hiding behind a pseudonym and we can talk
#5 Posted by Ryan Chittum, CJR on Mon 13 May 2013 at 05:16 PM
I have to admit that I backslid to resubscribing to the TP. Life without a newspaper is like life without a dog, and frankly, The Advocate we were offered here to make up for the loss of the TP is hardly a newspaper. I hope that the new improved version is truly MUCH improved.
I have always been an admirer of Gordon Russell, but the word that I heard at the time of the TP bloodbath - from people who were given the heave ho - was that he had ink on his hands. It seems that there may be plenty of suspicion & resentment that could poison the emotional health of the new enterprise.
#6 Posted by Gallivan Burwell, CJR on Mon 13 May 2013 at 08:24 PM